ic_play Created with Sketch.

Watch the whole video but:

tl;dr Taser probes frequently spread too far apart to actually hit. If the probes land too close together, they’re ineffective. Including the multitude of common situational factors such as drugs, physical stature, moving speed, etc., tasers aren’t a very reliable source of self-defense.

ic_web Created with Sketch. joshscorcher
ic_visibility Created with Sketch. 9 notes

Question:

Is it possible to “beat” mental illness? Or does it depend on type/circumstance?

Answer:

missmentelle:

“Beating” mental illness is actually the norm, not the exception. Most people who have a major depressive episode never have another one. 80% of people who survive their first suicide attempt never make a second attempt. 93% of Borderline Personality Disorder patients achieve remission. Up to 74% of people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder achieve significant clinical improvement in their symptoms, and 20% achieve full remission. Half of Generalized Anxiety Disorder patients achieve remission after the acute phase of treatment. Even disorders with relatively low rates of remission - bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, schizoid personality disorder - generally become milder and easier to manage as you age. Psychiatric symptoms tend to peak in your 20s and generally drop off as you get older, especially if you seek treatment. 

This is why the narratives we use to talk about mental illness matter so much. Right now, the dominant narrative is that mental illness is “an imbalance in the brain” and that it’s largely something that people are born with. There are upsides and downsides to this. The upside is that it promotes the idea that mental illness is not the ill person’s fault, and it helps us understand that mental illness can impact anyone, regardless of their life circumstances. The downside, however, is that it’s sort of given us this idea that mental illness is inborn and unchangeable. People have taken on the idea that “that’s just how my brain is”, when the reality is that, for most people, mental illness is less of a stable trait for them, and more of just a shitty thing that they are going through for a little while. The idea that mental illness is just “in your brain” also erases the very real connection between your life circumstances and your mental health - while it’s very true that a wealthy person in a happy marriage can become depressed, it’s also very true that living in poor conditions and being in an abusive marriage can be the cause of depression, and that improving your life circumstances can lessen or eliminate mental health conditions. 

If you have a mental health condition, it’s very important that you not resign yourself to the idea that you’re going to be like this forever. Chances are, you won’t. Even if you have a mental health condition that is associated with low rates of remission, it is possible to make leaps and bounds in your functioning, and to get to a point where managing your condition becomes second nature to you. Our understanding of mental illness is improving every year, and new therapies and treatments are becoming available all the time. If you seek treatment and do your best to manage your condition, you have every reason to believe that you will make huge improvements. 

Hope this answers your question!

ic_web Created with Sketch. missmentelle
ic_visibility Created with Sketch. 10007 notes

Question:

What was the biggest injury you received while you where with the marines?

Answer:

I dropped an ammo can on my chin while doing lifts; I still have a scar there that I cut every time I shaved it, so that’s why I grew my beard out.

ic_web Created with Sketch. joshscorcher
ic_visibility Created with Sketch. 21 notes

redbloodedamerica:

“The envious are more likely to be mollified by seeing others deprived of some advantage than by gaining it for themselves. It is not what they lack that chiefly troubles them, but what others have.”

— Henry Hazlitt (1894-1993) American journalist (via philosophicalconservatism)

ic_web Created with Sketch. philosophicalconservatism
ic_visibility Created with Sketch. 105 notes

vivicosas:

from this post

mario is luigi’s number one fan

ic_web Created with Sketch. vivicosas
ic_visibility Created with Sketch. 17273 notes

Question:

Who would you say are your big Fighting Game mains?

Answer:

SoulCalibur: Yoshimitsu/Raphael

Smash: Roy/Ike

Tekken: Yoshimitsu

I try not to play too many fighting games, as memorizing movesets can get really complicated.

ic_web Created with Sketch. joshscorcher
ic_visibility Created with Sketch. 11 notes

rafa-starkiller:

“If you’re black, and a white friend confides in you about how shitty blacks are, it’s because she considers you one of the good ones–someone it’s safe to vent to. Don’t ruin that vibe with some “not all black people” crap. She knows. That’s why she’s talking to you. You don’t have to say it; she’s already telling you, just not in so many words. If you were one of the ones she was talking about, she wouldn’t be confiding in you about it, so instead of getting offended, you should feel honored, my droogie.“

anexperimentallife:

If you’re a man, and a woman friend confides in you about how shitty men are, it’s because she considers you one of the good ones–someone it’s safe to vent to. Don’t ruin that vibe with some “not all men” crap. She knows. That’s why she’s talking to you. You don’t have to say it; she’s already telling you, just not in so many words. If you were one of the ones she was talking about, she wouldn’t be confiding in you about it, so instead of getting offended, you should feel honored, my droogie.

ic_web Created with Sketch. anexperimentallife
ic_visibility Created with Sketch. 26623 notes

grief-child:

elwurd:

elwurd:

ifyoutrysometimes:

bobacupcake:

we are already living in the cyberpunk future and i know this because within a span of 3 days we went from this tweet:

image

to thousands of people making phony images and replying to them with their passionate desire to have them as a tshirt to overload the bots with nonsense and junk and send out warnings to shoppers like this:

image

and now we even have people replying to pictures of baby yoda with “i want this on a tshirt” knowing how ravenous disney is being with copyright in hopes to get the stores taken down altogether

i dont know what it is about stuff like this and the whole turn mei into a symbol of hk protesters thing but, its really reassuring for some reason

image
image


Follow Up

image

https://twitter.com/Nirbion/status/1202272580918562818

I’m fucking screaming

ic_web Created with Sketch. bobacupcake
ic_visibility Created with Sketch. 268703 notes

ranty9000:

@not-semi-perfect

lanceiferroar:

The Mandalorian is soo good!

ic_web Created with Sketch. lanceiferroar
ic_visibility Created with Sketch. 7325 notes

Question:

Something which annoys me is when people see two girls fighting and immediately think: “oh, they’re only fighting each other because male Writers like to pit women against each other smh.” Ignoring any context. Like, boys get to fight it out all the time, and we’re supposed to all be ladies and be nice to each other all the time because we’re girls? Nah, I’m outta here.

Answer:

belles--rose:

God, mood. Honestly, I find it incredibly offensive to think that all women just naturally would like each other or get along just because we’re girls.

Jack: “I bet you half an hour after (Gwendolyn and Cecily) have met, they’ll be calling each other ‘sister!’”
Algernon: “Women only do that after they’ve called each other a lot of other things first.”

Importance of Being Earnest, Oscar Wilde

ic_web Created with Sketch. belles--rose
ic_visibility Created with Sketch. 86 notes
ic_play Created with Sketch.

prolifeproliberty:

friendly-neighborhood-ehrhardt:

nonenosome:

gaeteez:

harrythepottercat:

Reporter: What’s your name?

Hong Kong Protestor: Lee Chun Hei! I won’t commit suicide!

Police: 


A reminder that Hong Kong police have been arresting children as young as 11. They have also fired at press and begun arresting reporters and aid workers with the excuse that they ‘might be protesters in disguise’. 

They have been filmed beating protesters that have already been subdued/cuffed, as well as using their weapons incorrectly (firing rubber bullets at close range) and driving into crowds

People are dying.This is wrong. 

A Hong Kong newspaper had its printing press lit on fire a couple days ago.

geez.

Please don’t forget or get complacent about Hong Kong! They are still fighting!

ic_web Created with Sketch. harrythepottercat
ic_visibility Created with Sketch. 75892 notes

amishfighterpilot:

hotmeat89:

Imagine having a nice father

ic_web Created with Sketch. hotmeat89
ic_visibility Created with Sketch. 2669 notes

concentrated-sunshine:

eldritchgentleman:

alamuts-lair-of-madness:

wherelibertydwells:

Whelp… 🤡

“gulags just haven’t been done right yet”

And concentration camps were wellness centres ;3

When you excuse Concentration Camps because they were not Nazi Concentration Camps. You’d think that any ideology employing Concentration Camps would be, by default, considered straight up evil.

Guys, it could work! REAL gulags just haven’t been tried yet!

ic_web Created with Sketch. wherelibertydwells
ic_visibility Created with Sketch. 575 notes

lemonsharks:

berlynn-wohl:

discochurch:

Adult things arent NEARLY as complex as I thought they were growing up I just walked into bank of america and said im here to open a checking account and they said ok and opened me a checking account

If you have anxiety about being an adult, it may help to think of adult things as basically just doing a lot of quests.

Me: [googles “where do i get a passport”]
Me: [goes to that building]
Me: [asks first person I encounter] Where do I get a passport?
Them: Third floor, room twelve.
Me: [goes to that room]
Me: [asks first person I encounter] Where do I get a passport?
Them: That desk over there.
Me: [goes to that desk]
Me: Where do I get a passport?
Them: Fill out this form.
Me: [thinking] Silver key opens the garden gate, in the garden is the red key, which opens the red door, there’s a boy in the red house who tells you his dog is trapped in the old abandoned barn and can I please rescue him…

being an adult is a serious of fetch quests and waiting in lines

It’s not mandatory to play co-op, but it’s a CRAPTON easier as long as you have a good partner.

I read a lot of guidebooks for this, so I’m never unsure of where to go.

These seriously write themselves.

ic_web Created with Sketch. methlabrador
ic_visibility Created with Sketch. 337580 notes

dirty-rigger:

militant-holy-knight:

I am still amazed my Leif Erikson meme upset some atheist blog so much they rushed to write an desperate attempt at debunking it in the clumsiest way imaginable.

They claimed the meme asserted Erikson landed in the USA rather than Canada, when in fact it merely said “America” as the continent given that neither country existed in that age. 

They dismissed status as an European explorer as “no big deal”, which baffles me how is this an argument.

And finally they said “he got his ass-kicked by non-Christians?”… So what? What does this actually prove?

Despite labeling themselves as rational people by default just because they have no religion, they can get reactionary pretty fast.

“Atheists” definitely have a religion.

…now I’m imagining Atheists™ (Trend atheists) having patron saints too.

St. Nye, saint patron of science

St. Voltaire, patron saint of freedom

St. Nietzsche, patron saint of power

St. Tyson, patron saint of starts

St. Jilette, patron saint of truth

Oh gosh. What rabbit hole have I descended into?

ic_web Created with Sketch. militant-holy-knight
ic_visibility Created with Sketch. 123 notes

werewolfviking:

ic_web Created with Sketch. catchymemes
ic_visibility Created with Sketch. 102626 notes

takashi0:

rafa-starkiller:

nopostradio:

siryouarebeingmocked:

strict-constitutionalist:

arcenciel-par-une-larme:

siryouarebeingmocked:

generallemarc:

sunshine-tattoo:

danielle-mertina:

libraelementia:

loveiseldritch:

cloverhoneyed:

apersnicketylemon:

floralvixen:

apersnicketylemon:

Christianity and conservatism are not compatible ideologies. Conservatives, socially, are against refugees, against equality, and fiscally are against social programs and financial aid to those in need.

Jesus demanded they help refugees, demanded equality, and demanded aid to the poor.

To be conservative means to not be Christian, and to claim you are both is to be a hypocrite.

Something Jesus also condemned.

I don’t think you know much about either ideology


Sincerely, a conservative Christian

I’ve read the bible six times, I know what it says.

I’m also a polisci student, and pay attention to what conservatives do. In fact I’ve studied conservatism, in addition to the other political ideologies that exist in our world.

Jesus said:

When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. (Leviticus 19:33-34)

When you reap the harvest of your land, do not reap to the very edges of your field or gather the gleanings of your harvest. Do not go over your vineyard a second time or pick up the grapes that have fallen. Leave them for the poor and the foreigner. (Leviticus 19:9-10)

He defends the cause of the fatherless and the widow, and loves the foreigner residing among you, giving them food and clothing. And you are to love those who are foreigners, for you yourselves were foreigners in Egypt. (Deuteronomy 10:18-19)

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. (Matthew 25:25-36)

Just to quote a very, very few.

Conservatives repeatedly repeal and cut back programs that feed the poor ,including poor children, cut back education, and cut back healthcare, all things vital to the poor. Conservatives repeatedly want no refugees, want no immigrants (travelers), including children. In fact, many conservatives want to throw the existing immagrants (travelers) out of the country (and need I remind you, Jesus was not a “legal” immagrant, so to claim ‘legal’ and ‘illegal’ immigrants are any different is still to ignore what the bible has commanded of you.

I know exactly what each ideology is about. You are a hypocrite, and not a Christian. You only call yourself one while flaunting what was commanded of you.

in the field of religious studies, we often call jesus one of the first radical leftists. he was a social anarchist with communist leanings, and that’s why his draw was such a threat to the imperial system—because he was calling for the dismantling of oppressive power structures. the conservative romans were the ones who killed jesus, and conservatives after are the ones continuing to kill his message thousands of years after his death.

Don’t forget he fought against slut-shaming, embraced alcoholics and the homeless, and straight up said you can’t get into heaven if you die rich.

When I say conservative Christians would deport Jesus if they actually saw him or blacklist him if they heard him…this is why. And it’s funny because those fools are the Pharisees and can’t even see that.

The greatest commandment of Christianity is to love your neighbor like yourself and that’s not what conservatives do.

Jesus was a nice Jewish boy and how dare bigots align themselves with him.

Well ain’t this a bunch of stereotyping and false information. Jesus didn’t say half that shit(”fought slut-shaming” holy hell) and no one ideology has a monopoly on morality, thank you for coming to my ted talk. “Radical leftist”, good mercy I’ve never seen anything so stupid. “Communist leanings”. 

I’m pretty sure when Jesus said “don’t stone this woman for committing adultery”, he wasn’t actually condoning adultery.

Also;

apersnicketylemon

>Christianity and conservatism are not compatible ideologies. Conservatives, socially, are against refugees, 

Opposing illegal immigration =/= opposing immigration. I’ve seen some Conservatives who want to seal the borders entirely, but they’re an overwhelming minority. Most seem to say things like “immigration is fine as long as it’s legal”, which certain people turn into “you hate all immigrants”.

>against equality,

Citation needed.

>and fiscally are against social programs and financial aid to those in need.

Yes, when they’re paid for with taxes, because they don’t trust the government to run those programs effectively. They prefer to support private charities.

>I’ve read the bible six times, I know what it says.

And yet you somehow missed the part where Christians are supposed to give to help others directly. Not to give money to the government to maybe help people.

>I’m also a polisci student, 

1. We have no way to verify that. I could go “I’m a pastor’s kid!” and you’d have no way to prove that either.

2. Ao what? That doesn’t mean you can’t be wrong.  Appeal to Authority is worse when you don’t actually have the authority.

>and pay attention to what conservatives do. In fact I’ve studied conservatism, in addition to the other political ideologies that exist in our world.

Again, unverifiable, and again, so what?

cloverhoneyed
>in the field of religious studies, we often call jesus one of the first radical leftists.

My dad’s a pastor. With a relevant degree. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him use that phrase, no matter how much MSNBC he watches.

>he was a social anarchist with communist leanings, and that’s why his draw was such a threat to the imperial system—because he was calling for the dismantling of oppressive power structures.

Render unto Ceasar, which could, incidentally, be used as a pro-tax argument. Jesus was more like “Earthly power structures are basically irrelevant, in the long run”.

loveiseldritch 
>embraced alcoholics and the homeless, and straight up said you can’t get into heaven if you die rich. 

No, he said it wasn’t easy. With a metaphor. About traditional Jewish doctrine, not Christianity. Which didn’t exist.

libraelementia
>When I say conservative Christians would deport Jesus if they actually saw him or blacklist him if they heard him…this is why. And it’s funny because those fools are the Pharisees and can’t even see that.

Conservatives hate Jews, and it’s the right that tries to blacklist opinions they don’t like?

Are you and OP those people who believe that meme about Jesus birth? When his parents went from one Roman province to…another Roman province? Weird how y’all missed that in your ‘studies’.

Y’all do realize a great deal of the American right isn’t religious any more? Just from the amount of conservatives I see with porn gifs on this website…

I’m not sure how many times exactly we need to debunk these “No I’m not Christian and I feel nothing short of contempt for your benighted, backwards-thinking religion, but Jesus was a gay black trans polyamorous Palestinian Leninist” posts, but something tells me that no effort will ever be enough. I have a feeling that all those Jesus-wielding leftists do not want to understand Him in any way, but theu are rather interested in bashing convervatives.

Sooooo….here we dive into the cringe again.

> Conservatives, socially, are against refugees, against equality, and fiscally are against social programs and financial aid to those in need.

It’s the old socialist game of “You don’t like MY brand of justice and equality, so you must hate ALL justice and equality”. This has been going on since the days of Bastiat, haven’t you grown tired of it yet?

Not to mention that the last sentence is a STRAIGHT UP LIE.

> I’ve read the bible six times, I know what it says.

Ummmm…and you think that merely “reading” it a bunch of times makes you in any way knowledgeable about it?

You know that biblical/ANE studies is an actual scientific discipline, right? The Bible is not fandom, you know. You can’t understand a 2-millennia-old text just by reading it with your postmodern lens, much less declare death of the author over it…

> I’m also a polisci student, 

THAT STILL DOESN’T MAKE YOU BIBLICALLY LITERATE.

> Jesus said:

> [proceeds to cite Leviticus]

Yeah…I think we have a problem here, Houston.

> in the field of religious studies, we often call jesus one of the first radical leftists.

Yeah guys, because Jesus CONSTANTLY preached in favour of a strong centralised government, forced redistribution of wealth, and identity politics! [/s]

> he was a social anarchist with communist leanings

That’s right, Jesus NEVER preached any BACKWARDS-THINKING CAPITALIST PROPAGANDA such as “render unto Caesar”!!! [/s]

> and that’s why his draw was such a threat to the imperial system—because he was calling for the dismantling of oppressive power structures.

And here we see these OMG BIBLICAL SCHOLARS of such INIMITABLE KNOWLEDGE completely forget the central axis of the message of Jesus.

Here’s another idea: have you ever thought that maybe Jesus and his followers were NOT the communist revolutionaries you want to make them out to be, but were rather hugely unpopular because of His claims to divinity etc.? And that entailed that people ought to have an ultimate allegiance HIGHER than any government or political system?

Of course not. That’s “bronze age fairytales”.

> the conservative romans were the ones who killed jesus, and conservatives after are the ones continuing to kill his message thousands of years after his death.

Why don’t you just call them straight white gun-toting Republicans and get it over with?

You know you can’t arbitrarily label things that you don’t like “conservative”, right?

What about the fact that the Romans were a pagan empire? Are you willing to hold that against them, too?

For that matter, what about all the leftist regimes which have killed and persecuted (and continue to kill and persecute) Christians throughout the world? Are they “conservative” as well, by some miraculous process?

> Don’t forget he fought against slut-shaming,

And here’s how you know that these people have never actually read the NT. Jesus’ standards and commandments on sexual morality (to men and women alike) are so strict compared to these of our post-Kinseyan age that, had these SJWs really read His words, they would have been branding Him a “patriarchal misogynist sex-negative slut-shaming fundie” from dawn till dusk.

> embraced alcoholics and the homeless,

1. One of those things is not like the other.

2. He did not embrace the practice of alcoholism or encourage people to stay homeless at any point.

3. What does this have to do with conservatism?

> and straight up said you can’t get into heaven if you die rich.

Huh…I guess that these WORLD-CLASS BIBLICAL SCHOLARS over here completely forgot that Zacchaeus and Nicodemus existed.

> The greatest commandment of Christianity is to love your neighbor like yourself and that’s not what conservatives do.

THUS SAITH THE “RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY” once more.

> Jesus was a nice Jewish boy and how dare bigots align themselves with him.

…..“nice”????

Jewish, yes. Meek, most certainly. But if you think He’s “nice”…then you haven’t been paying attention.

Central to His message is the idea of sin. That is BOUND to offend. He wants us to turn our ways to Him, and to renounce our sinful ways, no matter of what nature they are, and regardless of our political sensitivities.

Just because He is by no means the abusive heavenly dictator that ye olde biblethumpers presented Him as, that does not mean that He’s the cool socialist hippie that you want to make Him out to be.

I notice they’re still ignoring the “go and sin no more” part of the adulterer story.

“Still ignoring ‘go and sin no more’, I see.”

What’s the christian version of a ‘fudd’?

Jesus told that rich guy to sell his possessions and give to the poor, not to force others to give the Roman Empire their possessions so the Romans can help the poor. He was pretty explicit in affirming not only that charity should be done out of your own free will, but that it’s the only form of charity God sees as good, as opposed to performative charity, helping others to get something in exchange, and yes, giving away your money because the State will arrest you if you don’t.

He also said it was rare for a rich person to go to Heaven, not that it was impossible, because having an exorbitant amount of wealth means you can afford to spend your day comitting every single sin known to man, as well as making you less likely to sympathise with those who have less. A rich man, however, can also use his exorbitant wealth to help others; again, out of their own free will, not by forcefully taking from them.

And also because of the assumption you did some pretty awful things to get that wealthy to begin with. 

*Jesus said -cites Leviticus and Deuteronomy-*
*I read the Bible 6 times*

HAHAHAHA What a clown! If this guy is telling the truth (unlikely), then they’re a perfect example of reading/comprehending the Bible being two very different things.


If anyone ever says “Conservatism and Christianity aren’t compatible,” that’s an immediate red flag that they have no frame of reference for anything that goes on in the world.

ic_web Created with Sketch. apersnicketylemon
ic_visibility Created with Sketch. 138755 notes

trans-mouse:

silver-sivien:

panzerschwanzwagen:

silver-sivien:

can i interest u in a box of friend??

a box of biohazard maybe

the only hazard here is ur attitude

its him… its earl grey…

ic_web Created with Sketch. silver-sivien
ic_visibility Created with Sketch. 206032 notes