Writing a sequel (how to make your life easier when writing the second book)
Thank you to @through-shadows-falling for requesting this post. As I started planning this post, I reliased that I have never written a sequel. So, these tips are from research and the things I believe could help. They are not from personal experience.
1. Accept that it’ll be harder than the first book
- I have heard this from so many authors. The pressure of writing the second book is intense; this is accepted across the board.
- So, before you go in, know that it will be more challenging. Prepare yourself for a process that may differ from that of writing your first book.
- Ideally, you should outline the entire series before you start. That doesn’t mean that you have to have detailed outlines for each book.
- It just means that you have a good idea what will happen in each of the books in order to move the big plot forward. This way you know what to reveal and focus on in your first book. And you won’t write yourself into the corner.
- However, if you haven’t outlined the series, you still can. Create a somewhat detailed outline of the second book, keeping the first book at hand.
- Even if you’re a pantser, I think some kind of outline will make the process much easier.
3. Series bible
- A series bible contains everything you need to know about your series. Character sheets. World-building. Outlines. Photos. Whatever.
- Once again, it would be ideal to make this before you start the series, but you can do this after having written the first book as well.
- Use whatever you established in the first book to consolidate everything you may need going forward.
- Then, keep this with you in order to maintain consistency and speed up the process.
- I haven’t really used a series bible before, but many authors swear by it. So, it might be worth a try.
4. Keep the first book at hand
- Have the finished version of the first book with you while you write.
- This way, you can check details you need when writing the sequel.
5. Don’t fix what ain’t broken
- If your first book was a success or you liked it, don’t try to change a lot of things in the sequel.
- If the writing style and plotting style worked, keep on that trend. Use what you already know works.
- You can obviously change things as you improve as a writer, but don’t freak out over trying to make your sequel something completely new/different.
- Trust yourself. You’ve written a book before. You can do it again.
Those are as many tips as I can give without personal experience. I hope that this helps somewhat.
Reblog if you like these tips. Comment with your own. Follow me for similar content.
so I got into grad school today with my shitty 2.8 gpa and the moral of the story is reblog those good luck posts for the love of god
okay so i just got my dream job??? a week after applying to it?? and now i’m thinking….maybe this is the good luck post
…..not even six hours later i got an offer of a well paying full time long-term job with free room and board in queens in nyc, allowing me independence and a way to escape an abusive situation and an unhealthy environment
likes charge reblogs cast, folks, this is the good luck post
Hello! Many of you have been waiting, and I’ve been right with you! Commissions will have three slots open. This is so that I don’t overwhelm myself with my other job.
Examples of current art are linked below! Want to see more of my art? Go right ahead!
THINGS I WILL DO:
-OC’s (if given a proper reference sheet)
-Other; If unsure, go ahead and ask!
THINGS I WILL NOT DO:
-NSFW / fetishes
**Depends on amount. If unsure, please ask!
Remember *PRICES ARE PER CHARACTER!!*
SKETCHES: $5, $10, $20 USD
SOLID COLOR: $10, $20, $35 USD
DETAILED: $15, $30, $50 USD
Backgrounds are fairly open here, choose whatever! However, backgrounds are not outlined in my style. It’s just how I make the character(s) the focal point.
CHIBI: $14 USD
In this section you will be able to have four (4) figures. From 4 separate characters to 4 variations of one character! **This section only comes with 4 figures, so divide it up however you want among your character(s).**
What’s the payment method?
I will have you pay me through PayPal after we have confirmed the price of what you want. After we confirm, I will send you an invoice and you’ll pay through there. I give you up to a week, so watch your email! (No, you do not need a Paypal for yourself in order to pay.)
Done reading and making sure you know the rules? Click here for the commission form!
everyone who reads this post will get some big spicy joy within 24 large minutes (hours)
Ok y'all but like I’m not even kidding about this I read this post yesterday and today I got an email from the peeps at hamilton and I won the lotto gor $10 tickets and I would like to give all my thanks to the internet’s favorite fish, Goldie Gurston, for making this possible because I totally believe they did this with their amazing gay powers
So I know this is likely a coincidence…but I reblogged this and just now discovered I’ve been given a $150 amazon gift card as a bonus at work. So thank you, fish!
If it worked for them I hope it works for everyone else
Some big spicy joy pls
SOME BIG SPICY JOY PLEASE