thinking about this
TIL The Beatles approached Stanley Kubrick to direct a LOTR movie starring themselves. Tolkien killed the project as a result of his hate for The Beatles. A hate developed after moving 3 doors down from The Beatles in 1964, who irked him with the “indescribable” noise from their practice sessions.
the man who spents hundreds of pages describing trees and meals and worked out the linguistics of multiple fictional languages and the entire cosmology of his fictionsl world called the Beatles’ rehearsal sounds “indescribable”
okay but imagine if the defining cultural touchstone of understanding for the character of Aragorn was like, Ringo Starr
“July Mall Santa” sounds like a an indie ablum full of baelful man-bleating or a particularly intense mixed drink so I’m all for it.
I propose that from now on, every family gets randomly assigned a month where they can do Christmas. benefits:
- twelve “grey Fridays” per year, rather than one giant intolerable Black Friday
- candy canes whenever you want them
- dilutes Christmas music to below LD50 doses in most retail environments
- Mall Santa becomes a year-round position
- Christmas music will be forced to diversify and spend less time talking about snow
- acceptable to watch How the Grinch Stole Christmas and Elf at any time of the year
- War On Christmas outrage will be spread throughout the year, effectively giving evangelicals a chew toy to distract them
- holiday travel rush almost eliminated
TIL that the French writer and philosopher Georges Bataille founded a secret society called Acéphale to explore ritualism and human sacrifice, but apparently everyone volunteered to be the sacrificial victim and no one wanted to be the executioner so no sacrifice was ever carried out.
When no tops show up to the party